The weekend before last, we found out that the sale failed on that house we've been wanting. I would have posted about it, but since then, we've been scrambling to get our house fixed up to put on the market. I painted the bathroom, and Grant got working on our kitchen counter tops. 
Grant started out by trying to peel off the old counter top, but it was seriously old, like old linoleum. The top, plastic-like part came off easily, but underneath was a layer similar to very thick, black construction paper that had been soaked in glue (you can see it on the back-splash). Grant had to use a wallpaper remover to blow hot air on it while trying to scrape it with the heavy-duty scraper you see in the picture. It made the house stink like tar, it spread that black dust everywhere, and it was a long and difficult process for Grant. After this section of counter top, Grant knew we needed another method. So, the plan is to cut 1/2 inch boards to fit over the old counter top (they weren't level with our oven anyway) and to put the vinyl over that.
These are a few pictures of the old counter top, and the mess that is my kitchen. Pepto Bismol, anyone? At least we're saying goodbye to the pink!
We are still in the process. The house is a disaster. I'm supposed to be nesting, but instead, we're tearing apart the nest! My oven has been in the middle of the kitchen floor for at least 3 days now, and my microwave is close by (on the floor also), being slammed into by the refrigerator door every time I open it because I forget it's there. We've been doing a lot of mooching off the in-laws, and last night, we just went ahead and used the stove even though it's in the middle of the kitchen. And, it's going to get worse before it gets better. Our sink is going to get ripped out this weekend and will be M.I.A. for at least a few days. Grant is doing beautiful work on the counter tops, though, and when they're all done, it will look really good. As soon as it's all finished, we will put our house on the market and hopefully still have a chance to put an offer on that house.
Eleanor listening to a story from Grandpa, all wrapped up in his jacket during one of the many nights we have been up at their house in the evening.
I'm so excited for you guys! I hope you get the house, good luck, I'll be praying for you!!!
ReplyDelete