Last night I had to work later than usual. After dismissing my class, I ran to a staff meeting. I didn’t get home until after 9—more than an hour after bedtime.
As I walked in the door, Eleanor was quietly watching a show, alone. Assuming Jocelyn was putting Phaedra to bed, I asked Eleanor if she had made a deal with Mommy for what would happen once I got home. We make a lot of deals with Eleanor—she is pretty good about cooperating if it is an official give-and-take deal. Here is how our conversation went:
Me: Hi
Eleanor: (absent minded, concentrating on Bob the Builder) Hi
Me: Did you make a deal with Mommy that you would turn off your show and go to bed when I got home to read you a story?
Eleanor: (still absent minded) Yea
Me: Ok. I’m home. Turn off the show and I’ll read you a story and get you to bed.
Eleanor: (surprisingly chipper) OK
I turned off the show and picked up two books near Eleanor on the couch
Me: Which story would you like? (showing her the two choices) Choose one.
Eleanor looked at the two books. Looked at me with a thoughtful but scowling face, then looked back at the two books.
Eleanor: (very matter-of-factly) Mommy said bookss
We read both stories.
oh you got told!!! hahahaha
ReplyDeleteShe is WAY to smart :)
ReplyDeleteMandy