Thursday, April 19, 2012

Forward Motion

Well, it has happened. Curtis finally discovered that if he pushes with his toes while army crawling, he can move forward. Previously, he has been using his arms to rotate in a circle and rolling to get where he wanted to go. He would lift his whole body as if he was doing a push-up, but he didn’t realize that he should move his feet.

Curtis started using his toes yesterday, and quickly realized the freedom it allows him. He is loving all the things he can discover now. Our floors are his oyster. Maybe I can get the girls to clean up their toys now that they are threatened by the Curtis monster. I’ll have to get Grant to take a video of Curtis with his phone (the only way we get home videos around here). For now, I’ll let you watch this video of him doing his circles and body lifts—taken about a week ago. Grant took the video while the girls and I were finishing dinner. At the beginning, you can see Curtis’ lizard tongue. He likes poking his tongue in and out of his mouth.

Oddly enough, he still hasn’t learned to sit up on his own. He’s really close. If he would just hold still long enough, I think he could manage it. I’m sure he has the strength to do it, but he’s just too busy exploring. When I sit him up for a bit, he almost always sees something that interests him that he wants to dive to get. Why would he just want to sit there? I’m sure he thinks that’s a rather useless skill I’m trying to teach him. You would think all the times he has done a face-plant from a sitting position might convince him that learning to sit up is worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.