The other day, Eleanor decided to write a letter to her Uncle Alex who is on a mission in New York. Phaedra wanted to write to him too. They got out stationery and started writing, and Phaedra held hers up to show Eleanor. She told Eleanor all that it said, and Eleanor looked at it and said, “That’s just a bunch of letters. It doesn’t say what you said it says.” This really disappointed Phaedra. I told her not to worry about it, just to finish her letter however she wanted.
Once she was done, I offered to write down whatever Phaedra said on a different sheet of paper that we could put inside the card she wrote for him.
She told me what to write, and I read it back to her as we went, pointing at the words so I could prove to her that I really was writing what she wanted to say (this was a concern for her). The letter has been finished for about a week, but I haven’t been able to force myself to put it in the mail without documenting it. So here is her letter to Alex:
Dear Alex,
I, Phaedra, am going on a trip, but my mommy doesn’t want me to by myself. But no things are creeping around on the date. No monsters allowed in my trip because I don’t like monsters in my trip.
My me my me oshter. Don’t let me get caught.
Bah ba Bah ba Bah ba Dadda, I don’t want you to get lost, so I am going to write you a message.
Love,
Phaedra to Alex
That’s my girl.
I have no idea what goes on in that head of hers, but that’s my girl.
I hope Alex will enjoy the letter as much as I did.
I don't think anything will stiffen his missionary resolve like a little Bah ba Dadda.
ReplyDeleteIt always worked for me.