Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Sisters

150902_0010

I’m trying to get back into blogging a little more regularly. But most of the time, when I sit down when I finally get a moment of quiet, I either want to fall asleep or at least shut down my brain. Compiling a string of pictures and actually telling a story about them is just too much.

But to give you something, I told myself I could muster just one picture, and I grabbed the first one that stood out to me. Baby steps, people; baby steps. I took this on Phaedra’s birthday last month. I snapped a few pictures just before school. Phaedra was having fun doing poses for me, and this was the first one I took after asking Eleanor to jump in. I love it.

I needed to see it tonight because there have been days (recently) when I have struggled with one of these girls . . . really, really struggled. I imagine you can guess which one, but if not, I’ll give you a hint: the younger one. They say you either marry or give birth to your greatest challenge in life. I did NOT marry mine.

One of Phaedra’s friend’s moms texted me last night to see if she could come over to play today. I was already having a hard time with Phaedra, but I thought we could turn it around. I even used the invitation as motivation. I gave her so many chances to shape up. When Grant eventually got home last night, he gave her so many chances. She blew it. Time and time again. She wouldn’t do chores. She wouldn’t obey. She wouldn’t stop when asked to stop. To say that my patience is wearing thin would be an understatement.

I usually hate to keep her from an opportunity to get out and be social. I usually do everything I can to turn a negative situation even a tiny bit positive so I can get away with saying yes. There was no way for me to do that this time. As much as I wanted her to go, I kept her from going to play with her friend. I thought it might be the only way to get through to her.

Today she showed some improvement, but I’m not extremely impressed. I wanted so badly to be impressed. That’s probably why I just want to shut off my brain or go to sleep. I love Phaedra so much, and I know she has a lot of amazing, redeeming qualities. But she also knows exactly how to suck the life right out of me.

So enjoy the picture. I’ll try to say something more positive and upbeat next time.

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa still checks the blogs :). I have faith in you!!! Phaedra's behavior reminds me of another unnamed member of your family. Take heart...you will survive (try to enjoy and find humor in it somewhere) and pass her off to someone else far too soon :(

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.