Good: We went to the coast last weekend after doing serious cleaning around the house so it would look good if anyone wanted to look at it.
Good: We got an offer from the first person who looked at it just last Friday.
Good: The offer was for our full asking price.
Bad: Our buyer is in a real hurry and wants to close next Friday and have us out of here July 1st.
Ugly: They did an inspection on the house on Saturday while we were still at the coast. Since we weren't there, they had to practically empty our bedroom closet to get to the crawlspace access that's at the top of our closet. Our bedroom closet is one of the few places I hadn't had time to clean out and make nice and neat. They laid things carefully on our bed so we could put them back how we wanted, trying to be respectful. I cried. I was so humiliated that they had to displace our mess while we were gone. How embarrassing!
Good: We've already talked to my mother about moving to her place for a while so we won't be homeless while we look for a place to live.
Good: At least we only had to clean the house once for people to look at it!
Good: Now if we find a house we want, we won't have any contingencies.
Good: We can save money for a bigger down payment until we do find a place.
Good: We signed papers on Monday to accept their offer and any issues they wanted taken care of from the inspection (most of them were minor, though we have to treat the garage for carpenter ants).
Good: Also last week, the price on the house we've had our eyes on was lowered.
Bad: The lowered price raises pressure on us because of competition, and we haven't made our minds up.
Good: We got to take a long, contemplating look at that house on Monday, and we viewed several other homes in W. Salem and one in S. Salem.
Bad: We're starting to have doubts about the house we had our eye on. We're afraid we might start to feel cramped in it before we want to have to move again.
Ugly: We saw some standing water in the basement-- not a lot, but there was some there.
Good: We found another house we really liked, close to the school, lots of space. It's not our dream home as far as style, but it's very practical for our needs. It's a foreclosure, so it would be an automatic equity gain. Plus, they want a quick sale-- wouldn't it be nice not to have to move twice!
Bad: We found out that house already has an offer, but they hadn't done the inspection yet. We quickly put in a back-up offer yesterday morning, offering more than asking price in hopes that they will be difficult enough with the first buyer that the first buyer will walk.
Ugly, Ugly, Ugly: When our offer was sent, the other realtor let us know that we aren't the only back-up offer on the table! So, basically, we are third in line for that house. We don't even know how much the other back up person offered. They have to reject or accept our offer by 5pm today, but even if they accept, we have to wait for the other two buyers to somehow bow out. So, basically, it's a shot in the dark.
Good: We got the counter offer to our counter offer today on our sale.
Bad: Our realtor tried to protect us by changing the language from "close date: June 27th, seller will be out by July 1st" to "close date: June 27th, seller will be out 4 days after funding." The other realtor took issue with the change because the buyer is in such a hurry to get over here that they didn't want any chance for error, even if their funds weren't in order!
Ugly: Their realtor had words with Meredith (our realtor) and hung up on her! How immature!
Good: Luckily, we have a realty team (Mike and Meredith), and Mike called her back and smoothed things over. Meredith won't deal with her anymore so that we don't have any more squabbles. The language is set the way they want it now, but they're going to have to make an addendum if the funds aren't there on the 27th, which is what our realtors were trying to save them the trouble of doing in the first place. (Sigh)
Have I mentioned that I hate this whole process!?
Bad: With our "dream home" looking like less and less of a dream and our second option only retaining a very very thin shred of hope, we're left with no real prospects.
Ugly: I'm probably going to end up surrounded by unpacked boxes with a newborn or living at my parents' and moving with a newborn!
Ugly: Our close date is next Friday, and we haven't packed a thing because we've been too busy house-hunting, and the deal isn't even in escrow yet!
Ugly: I'm beginning to realize I'm never going to find a place that comes even close to my wonderful, huge kitchen with tons of cabinets!
My current mantra:
Try not to panic!
Try not to panic!
Try not to panic!
Try not to panic!
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't want to cause any problems with my pregnancy from stress. My last pregnancy was smooth sailing, but I didn't have so much to deal with. My biggest problem is that I don't delegate well. I don't ask for help. I'm trying to have faith and keep it together and try to help Grant keep it together. I think it's really hard for him when he's the provider of the family. We're doing our best. If you see me and I fall apart over some small thing and start crying, just know it's not you, and I'm not crazy-- I hope.
Jocelyn---it is so stressful---I know what you are go9ing through! The good news is you have a buyer...that's the biggest hurdle these days...I'm sure the rest will fall into place! Speaking from experience I know it's not fun to move quickly (we had two weeks right before Christmas) and twice and be displaced! Totally know where you're coming from on this one...
ReplyDeleteGood luck...I hope you find something you love right here in W. Salem!
It's going to be ok, you've sold the house! Your mom and your Gary won't mind spending more time with you guys until you find a place. It's not like you're going to be homeless. You're not in a desperate situation so you don't have to make a panic decision about a house.
ReplyDeleteAt times like this I like to turn to the great Doug Butabi "So, you wanna make out or what??"
Love Ya!
Oh hang in there. It sounds like you are doing a great job with everything that is on your plate. And look at the bright side if you start to break down just blame it on the pregnancy :)
ReplyDeleteI've got the packing covered so don't stress just expect a phone call in the morning. You will be taken care of one way or the other without a huge amount of stress!!!
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you want help packing, or cleaning, or just to be delegated to when you're figuring things out. I got time...remember? Take advantage of me, cause now's your time!
ReplyDeleteEverything will work out the way it's supposed to. The Lord will have you in mind during this stressful time. :)
yes, moving when pregnant or with a new baby is not so fun (i've done it about FIVE times... man i must love my hubby). The good thing, though, is that you will already be all packed up when you finally do find your next home, and unpacking is not nearly as stressful or as unpleasant as packing (in my opinion). It's kind of like Christmas. So hang in there, and good luck!
ReplyDeleteYIKES! That is so fast. I hope something works out for you to stay in our ward...
ReplyDeletehow on earth do you stay so funny amongst CRAZY STRESS! Deep breaths, relaxing music..wack the newspaper agaisnt the wall a few times, and it will all work out. Hang in there. Wish I could help you. You have no idea how much your letter meant to me. Please, let me know if there is ANY way I can help you out.
ReplyDelete