Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sometimes I Forget

Sometimes, during a busy day, when I have a thousand other things on my mind, when I'm trying desperately to get Eleanor to cooperate with me, I can forget how enjoyable she can be. But then, I have moments like tonight, sitting at the dinner table just the two of us, when she's babbling with a cheek full of meat loaf, about how she is Wall-E and I am Eve, saying things like, "We have sharp, sharp hands. And we hold our sharp, sharp hands together. I am Wall-E, and my eyes go [moving her eyebrows up and down]. When this eye falls out [pointing to her left eye], I will go in the garage and get another one."
It's moments like those when I look into her big brown eyes, and I want to cry because I'm happy and sad all at the same time. Happy because I am so lucky to be able to sit and have moments like that, forgetting any housework that needs to be done, forgetting the other stresses of the day, and just enjoying my daughter, her innocence, her enthusiasm, and her beauty. Sad because of how much time during the rest of the day when I was too busy or stressed or tired to enjoy some of the other moments that are so quickly passing me by. It's moments like these I wish I could trap in a jar to save for a rainy day.
It is never a question in my mind that I love my daughter. There are just some times that I need to remember to enjoy loving her a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.