Two weeks ago, Eleanor was having some trouble going to sleep at bedtime. Grant had put her to bed, and then he came out into the family room to spend time with me. Soon after, Eleanor came wandering out, claiming she couldn't sleep. Grant took her back to her bed and had a little talk with her, telling her to stay in her bed. It's not as if this hasn't happened before, but what we found a few hours later when we went to bed has never happened before. . .
Fast asleep.

I felt so bad, thinking about what she must have felt to be waiting there in the hall all evening until she dropped to sleep. What if she had been waiting there for one of us to check on her? What if she had been scared from sounds from the TV we were watching? How sad that she wanted us so much that she waited in the hall to be closer to us. Then again, maybe it was that she was just
that determined not to obey that she went to sleep in the hall. When I told my friend, Haley, about it, I think she put it well. Eleanor found a compromise.
I'm sure if she was scared you would have heard crying/screaming, something of the sort! There's nothing to feel bad about - kids fall asleep in the hallway all the time. Their little way of defying mom and dad!
ReplyDeleteI did this to my parents. Let that judge if it scars someone!
ReplyDelete