Friday, July 20, 2007

Shave and a Haircut, How Many Bits?

I recently got a haircut before our trip to Utah (we're here, safe and sound, by the way), and I sent out an e-mail to ask some of my lovely friends how much is customary to tip these days. Personally, I'm a penny-pincher, and I'd prefer that the tipping tradition never applied to haircuts. But, it's the custom, so I'll try to go along with it (besides, the last person you want upset with you is your hairdresser, right?). I rarely have professional haircuts, so I wasn't sure I was up to date on how much to tip.

Several people expressed interest in the outcome of my haircut. It's not exactly a new do because it's similar to the cut I had done in April, but it's a little shorter and a little more layered. Here you go. I wish my face looked as good as my hair.
Also, some people were curious as to what others had to say about tipping a hairdresser, so I thought I'd let you know what I found out. The answers are all different, so here is what each person said:
  • For a color, weave, and cut, about $60, a $10 tip, or for all over color and a little trim, $5, or no tip at all if they're overpriced (they're already charging a tip).
  • 15-20% if it's a nice place.
  • Depends where you're going and how happy you are with the results, $5 on a $15 haircut, but not as much at other places.
  • $5 tip on $45 cut.
  • 20% if they're happy with the result.
  • A couple of bucks, up to $5 if it was a great cut.
  • $5 on a 35 or 25 dollar cut if they do a great job, otherwise, two or three bucks.

If I didn't find out from you, please leave a comment and tell me how much you tip on your haircuts. It seems like there is almost a wide range. There must not be much of a standard established. So, what do you tip, or what do you think should be tipped for a haircut?

3 comments:

  1. Hey!

    Your hair looks great! I LOVE getting my hair done, it's like a little girly-time. Are you guys just in UT for a little va-ca? FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.