Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bedtime Drama

Eleanor can be quite challenging to get to bed/nap some days. It seems to be the worst when she's past-due for getting to bed. She gets put in her bed and throws tantrums, making any sort of request to stall.

Tonight was one of those nights. We let her stay up late to watch Horton Hears a Who. When it was over, Grant tried to put her to bed. He filled several of her requests, but when it became clear that each time he granted her request, she just came up with another one, he said no more. To make a long story short, he dealt with her for a while. Then, I took over. She lost several privileges and toys during the process.

Finally, I told her I would sing her one song in the chair (sometimes, if you give a little, she makes a complete turn-around). I told her she would need to tell Daddy sorry in the morning for not making good choices. I sang her a song, and then I told her she could give me loves before I put her in her bed. Grant was in the kitchen. I told her she already gave Daddy loves, so she didn't need to again (she hadn't asked, but I wasn't going to let her ask). She said she wanted to tell him sorry. The conversation went something like this:
(Grant was clipping his nails over the garbage can. When we came in, he stopped and held the clippers, still open, in one hand.)
Eleanor: Sorry, Daddy, for. . . bothering you.
Me: (prompting) Why don't you tell Daddy, "Sorry for not going to bed when you put me to bed."
Eleanor: Sorry for not coperating (cooperating).
Grant: Okay.
Eleanor: Shut that. (starting to point)
Grant: Goodnight Eleanor.
Eleanor: Shut. . .
Grant: Cooperate with Mommy.
Eleanor: Shut those. (pointing to the clippers in his hand) You will poke yourself.

That's our Eleanor. Even when she's driving us crazy, she's always looking out for us.

1 comment:

  1. That is a cute story. It sounds very much like my 3 yr old right now.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.