Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wild Tangent Tuesday: finished projects

This year, I made a goal for myself to accomplish one project a month, something crafty, homemade. The main part of the goal was to make something for myself or for my household. I like to make handmade gifts when I have the time/inspiration to do so, but I never make things for myself or for my own kids. That stuff always sounds fun, but it gets put on the backburner.

Case in point: the project I finished in January. Though I am exremely ashamed to admit this, I'm going to be honest and just trust that you will all still love me. My project for january was to finish a gift I had started and intended to give to a friend for Christmas . . . Christmas of 2007. And really, the only reason it took me so long to finish it was because I tried to make the same thing for myself and finish it at the same time. I knew I had a problem with putting projects for myself on the backburner. I thought it would be the perfect solution if I paired together a project for myself and a project with a deadline. Obviously, that backfired, and both projects ended up on the backburner. So, for January, I finally finished my friend's Christmas present (and shamefully gave it to her) and the project for myself.

This one was for Eleanor and me --matching aprons if you can't tell. Eleanor even got to help make them, which I think makes them more special to her.
These are the ones I gave to my friend, for her and her daughter. I couldn't decide which one of them should have the more "spunky" pattern, so I made them identical.
In February, I decided that making Valentines with Eleanor counted as the project for me or my household, because I had really been meaning to do a fun, easy craft with Eleanor (more for the experience than the outcome). I did manage to complete a project to give away, though.
I made this baby blanket for a friend who had her first boy (already has two girls). I love making these blankets. They're fairly easy, mostly busy work for my hands that would otherwise be shovelling snacks into my mouth during evening hours with Grant. I feel bad that I missed being able to make blankets for a few friends who had babies shortly after I had Phaedra. I hope they understand.
Here's a close-up of the edge.
March's project was less tangible. I did a lot of work on archiving my digital photos and working on a blog book. I'm nowhere near finishing either, but I made progress. I considered that my project for the month. I also managed to make another blanket for a good friend who also had her first boy (after two girls -Ha! I hadn't noticed the similarity). I was so excited about this blanket. She likes bright colors, and since my fabric variety at home was lacking, I actually got to go shopping. Plus, I finally got to use this varegated thread I bought ages ago, thinking it would be perfect for a boy blanket. I've held onto that thread forever, unable to find a fabric combo it really compimented . . . until this one! It made me want to pop out a baby boy myself just for the cute blanket, but knowing that was not going to happen (and probably for the best, considering I HAVE a baby on my hands), I gave the blanket a good home.
Oh, and I love stripes, so this blanket had that going for it, too.

Even if my baby is a girl, I decided she qualified to model it (hope you don't mind, Mandy).

I think I'll have her model all my blankets. It's much more fun.
For this month, I'm afraid I've got nothing (see how I'm slipping?) I guess I have tried some new recipes, does that count? It's been a crazy month. I'll try to do better next month.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a great goal to do at least one craft a month. Those blankets are really cute. Can you make one for Nate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE our blanket!! You Rock!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you have any of the fabric left of the blanket Phaedra is modeling, I'll take one!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.