Monday, May 21, 2007

Eleanor's Pronunciation Guide

I started a pronunciation guide for Eleanor last month to try to keep track of all the quirky ways she pronounces words. I soon realized it was rather impossible to keep up with her. Her vocabulary has been growing exponentially lately, and her pronunciation of words has changed almost as quickly. She is reapeating words you say like crazy. She even said her first little prayer with my help the other day! So, even though my efforts to keep up with her were futile, I thought some of you might get a kick out of this. I last updated it April 13th, so much has changed since then (and some hasn't). (Maybe sometime I'll get really ambitious and try to make a current list, problem is, her vocabulary is practically limited only by the number of words you ask her to say.) Here is Eleanor's 18 month pronunciation guide:


· Fork: sounds like “goat” with a really soft t
· No: No!
· No no: nah no
· Lotion: oh-fwee or oh-foo-eey
· Shoe: oo-fwee
· Binky: beep-bee (the p is very soft)
· Cozy: co-dee or co-gee at first, now cock-ee or co-ee (the c’s can sound like g’s sometimes)
· Dog: gaaaaaaaaaaah! or doggie! or goggie
· Diaper: bi-po
· Grandma: ma-mah (the first a sounds like the a in grand)
· Grandpa: bom-pah (Grant’s favorite of her words)
· Sticker: geek-guh
· Jacket: gack-et
· Fishy: shee-shee
· Daddy: used to be daddy, but is now daggy
· Mommy: Mommy
· Carter (cousin): cock-uh
· Alex (uncle): Allie (She sticks her tongue out and to the side as if she’s licking the corner of her mouth when she makes the L sound in Allie.)
· Stir, stir, stir: doot, dis, durs
· Sandwich: mab-see (with a long, drawn out “aaa” sound, like the a in cat)

5 comments:

  1. She is just too cute. I love how she pronounces words. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed that you know what some of those things mean. It's so cute. What a cool thing to have when she's grown up! She'll get a real kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time you updated. I've been going crazy not nothing what the Matthews are up to.
    I love the new family picture. I can't believe you are celebrating your fifth anniversary.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new family picture! Where'd you take that at?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, we just found some random couch in a meadow somewhere and grabbed some stranger to take a few pictures. Nah, just kidding. A good friend of ours took them for us at Champoug (sp?) Park. She's really talented!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.