Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Picture Trouble

I plan on posting soon, but I keep getting error messages when I try to upload photos. Sometimes it works just fine; sometimes it gives me an error message. It's getting a bit frustrating! I'll keep trying, and hopefully I can get something up here soon.

Until then, I'll mention something that's been on my mind for a while. Grant magically got a Mac notebook (oh yes, it's magic) several months ago. We were excited to see what all the appeal is, as Macs are growing in popularity. I have to say, I just don't see it. I haven't used it much except when we both use it to watch movies together or TV on the internet. When you insert or eject a disc, it sounds like a robot dying (or at least how I imagine a robot would sound upon its demise). It has a fan that comes on at random times that makes me think there's an airplane landing in our driveway. I've even tried telling Grant to click the "airport off" option, thinking it might actually turn off the airport sound effects so we can hear our show, but apparently that's not what it does. Even with the fan, the notebook has a rather hot spot where you shouldn't put your hand for much time at all. Plus, Grant, who I like to think is pretty savvy about computers and electronics, still doesn't know just how to do all the functions on the application that plays DVDs, so we face challenges such as not being able to fast forward or rewind except by chapter. I'm just not impressed. BUT I don't want to assume they are worthless based on my limited experience with them. So, I'd like to hear from other people who might have experience with Macs who could tell me what they like about them. What makes them so great? Why am I supposed to be impressed? What about them makes up for their quirks?

5 comments:

  1. More user friendly, more keyboard shortctus (which is my favorite part b/c I use them ALL the time), I've NEVER had a Mac crash on me, I like the desktop features more than PCs, and you don't have to deal with as much software when connecting things like cameras, mp3 players, etc. Ours doesn't have the loud fan, so I'm not sure what to say about that. Coming from PC land, you do have to get use to a new operating system - but it would be the same for someone going from Mac to PC. There's my 2 cents (or more!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK our laptop is also a Mac and I have to TOTALLY agree with everything you said! I'll also add that ours smells like BO...no lie...take a sniff of yours (I've always wondered if it's just ours or if this is a chronic problem with macs LOL)! Only good thing I can say is it looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was raised on macs, so i ditto everything carolyn (or stu?) said. Plus they have way better commercials than PCs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when watching a dvd if you click and hold the chapter button you can fast forward or rewind at 4x speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We LOVE ours but it was a huge change from working on a PC. I love iphoto. My kids love taking pictures of themselves and making movies on it. I think it's much easier once you are use to it. It just takes time.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.