
A nursing cover by The Peanut Shell, so I could nurse in style. I just used blankets to cover up with Eleanor. Since then, I've seen a few ladies using these or similar covers to nurse, and they seem so convenient. I like the pattern on this one.
Correction: Apparently, the above wish is being fulfilled :)
Again, by The Peanut Shell, their baby sling. It's reversible, so Daddy can wear it in just brown. I was given a baby sling as a hand-me-down for Eleanor (we got by on a lot of hand-me downs with Eleanor. Some of them have been great, and some of them have taught me what NOT to buy), but it didn't hold baby snug to your body. Actually, I have no idea how it was supposed to function and actually comfort baby. I put Eleanor in it one time so I could try to do dishes (back in our pre-dishwasher days), and she HATED it. I couldn't see her, she couldn't see me, and she screamed the entire time. This one folds up small, and you can hold baby in several different positions. I've never used one, but they seem like they would be nice, especially when baby is teeny and you want her close but still need your hands.
Correction: Apparently, the above wish is being fulfilled, too :)

Another hand-me-down story. We had a Diaper Genie that someone gave us used. It worked great once you figured out the twisting and how to take out the bags and what not. It was a bit of a pain, though with having to twist the top every time and the stinky sausage-like rope of stinky diapers to take out. Our biggest complaint: having to buy special bags for it. Also, it wasn't as good at containing the smell once Eleanor got eating more solids, even with the special next step up bags. We got rid of it when we were moving, not even wanting to deal with it for another child. The diaper pail pictured above is the Diaper Champ. I have heard these are the best. You can use whatever bag you want to in them, and they're supposed to be really good at containing smell. I'd love to hear opinions if anyone has experience with these or if someone has a different recommendation.
Well, it was a slightly older version of this one. It's the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders swing. It was also given to us as a hand-me-down. It worked great at first, and it was often the only thing that saved me when I was absolutely desperate for just a little more sleep. But, once Eleanor got a little bigger (mind you, still smaller than the weight limit on the swing), it didn't work as well. The feet would slightly lift up, and it would squeak with each swing, waking up her and me. We had to put heavy things on the feet to hold it down and quiet the squeak. Plus, it went through batteries like they were going out of style! So, I haven't put a lot of research into other swings on the market. Does anyone have a really great baby swing that they have really loved? Tell me about it!
I would love to have a Sit-and-Stand stroller by Baby Trend. I would be totally copying Carolyn on this one, because she has one. These are such a great idea, though. Double strollers that are side-by-side are so bulky. I love that the second child on this stroller can be a little more mobile, which we all know that a child that age is bound to want to do. I'll still use my jogging stroller (that I still LOVE), but this would be great for shopping trips with both kiddos.And finally, I want a new super-cute diaper bag. When I say super-cute, I am not talking about a pooh design covered in plastic. I'm talking about something stylish and practical for me to carry and still feel like a grown woman. I haven't pictured one here, because I have yet to find the perfect one (especially for less than $100-- come on, people! It's a diaper bag!) I'm talking about $20-$30, thank you very much. If anyone has recommendations or wants to scope one out for me, I'd love to hear from you! I also need one that's easy to organize (or some sort of organizer that goes into a diaper bag), because keeping the diaper bag somewhat junk-free has always been a huge challenge. Any thoughts?
So, those are probably all the items I would want for baby #2 if I could have anything I wanted. They're all things I either didn't know about the first time around or upgrades to what I used with Eleanor. I don't want to sound ungrateful at all for the many people who were so kind to give us hand-me-downs to use for Eleanor. I LOVE hand-me-downs. They were such a help with Eleanor, and I'm sure I will continue to use many of them with this next little girl. I'm just fantasizing right now.
Did I miss anything? Is there some great, miracle-working baby item you've discovered that I didn't mention/might not know about? Leave me a comment and tell me about it! I'd love to know what has worked well for other people.
Also, does anyone have suggestions for something we can give Eleanor when baby sister comes to help her feel special? What's the best gift for a new big sister?
you can make your own sling- it is so easy!! I have made dozens of these- it is way easy to make and the best baby product since pampers! i used it with #2 from birth to date- he is now 18 months old and if i am willing to carry him, he still fits in it and even enjoys it
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php
I saw this pouch sling (like the one pictured) at Baby to Baby today. It was priced at $25, I have no idea how that compares. do you know abou the MamaRoo group? They demonstrate baby-wearing and share carriers. It's a yahoo group for the Salem area. I have a Mei Tei and a Moby, they are great!
ReplyDeleteI have the peanut shell sling if you want to borrow it. And it's in a brown & white pattern, not too girly for Grant! They do come in different sizes, I think mine's a medium. I'll bring it next time we see you guys!
ReplyDeletemaya slings are so easy to make!!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php
i have made dozens of them! with a little practice they are super easy to use and more versital then any baby carrier you will find. I used it from day one with #2 and still put him in it time to time (when he just isn't walking fast enough) he is 18 months old!
they are the best baby product since pampers!
Joce, remember when Kenzie was born, we bought Austin his "own" baby. Everytime I bathed her, changed her, feed her, etc. I had him get is baby and do the same thing. It seemed to work really well.
ReplyDeletePlease take the first picture off your wish list. You already have one but just don't know it. Thanks!
ReplyDeletePS I also can make you the sling as well. I already have two made. So take that off too!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED my Peanut Shell. It was amazing and I think Clara honestly spent the first three months of her life in there. I don't know how to make them or if they work the same way if you make your own...all I know is that the Peanut Shell is versatile, safe, and cute! Definitely the BEST $60 I've EVER spent (and that's saying a lot...LOL!
ReplyDeleteWell, as for swings, someone got us this one: http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?e=product&pid=30548&st=2002 with Samantha and I just LOVE it. It can turn to swing back and forth or side to side. Samantha liked side to side, but Ashley liked back and forth. It is also super cozy. Plus it lasted us just fine for our first 2, and I don't forsee any problems through a third. So it is durable. I keep thinking about getting the little chair that is just like this for baby #3....
ReplyDeleteAlso, when Ashley was born we got Samantha a baby doll. She actually didn't care too much about it, and was way more excited about the purse with her very own chapstick that my parents got her. We gave them to her at the hospital when the baby was born, and since Phaedra is already here, this post is probably too late, but that is what we did!
Congrats again!
I love the pictures. Congrats!
ReplyDelete