Eleanor did not do so well on the way back as she did on the way to Utah. She was tired and irrational. She hit a certain point where she just did everything she knew she wasn't supposed to do, such as opening the cooler next to her and playing around with the contents. I was in a tight spot, because it wasn't like I could put her in a time-out, and Grant certainly had no intentions of pulling over as a consequence. Besides, it wasn't much of a consequence when we all wanted out of that car. That was the unpleasant part of the trip. It escalated until Eleanor started crying (screaming) uncontrollably until she eventually, finally fell asleep. Not fun.
We have never stopped overnight on our trips to or from Utah, but this time, we decided to give it a try. Grant has a cousin, Brett, in Idaho that lives right about at the half-way point of the trip. We hadn't gone to visit them since I was pregnant with Eleanor, so it was about time. It was really nice to get off the road, have a nice dinner, and let the kids enjoy themselves. Brett and his wife, Mary, have two girls of their own who have grown so much since the last time we saw them. They were so great with our girls, entertaining them and watching over them. Eleanor even tried to have a sleepover with the girls, but she ended up in our room. They have a dog named Joey. If only all dogs could be like this dog. He doesn't bite, doesn't bark (not at my girls, at least, and rarely at other things), doesn't growl, doesn't violently smack people with his tail, and doesn't knock the kids over. Phaedra loved him. She could crawl up to him and pat him, pull his ears, step on his paws, and he remained cool as a cucumber (which made me love him). The only thing I had to guard was all the open-mouthed kisses she tried to give him when he gave her a lick. Gross!
I liked stopping along the way. It makes the trip less draining, and it was really fun to visit with Brett and Mary again. They are so kind and welcoming, and they love food as much as we do. The only down side was at bed time when we were trying to get the girls to settle down and go to sleep and I was seriously craving sleep myself, it was torture to think "I could be in my own bed by now." But, I'm sure the trip would have been much more exhausting to keep the kids happy and the adults sane. Given the choice, I think I'd stop again. It seems easier on the kids.
That being said, on the second day of the drive, Eleanor had the exact same problem as day one. She got tired, belligerent, screamed, slept. NOT fun. At least we recognized the pattern the second day, so when she started screaming, we didn't try to cheer her up, didn't try to reason with her. We just ignored her until sleep came at long last. It was (and still is) so good to be home!
You did a ton of posts I hadn't seen! So glad you had a great trip and got to see so many people!
ReplyDelete