Monday, May 10, 2010

Here’s What I MADE

Sometime within the last few months, I discovered this blog called MADE. I know it’s no new discovery to my friends, as nearly all of you have links to it. I guess you could say I’m a little late.

Well, she just finished doing a “Celebrate Mom” theme, posting new projects each day that are fun gifts to make for mom or yourself. I can’t tell you how many projects got added to my favorites folder of projects I’d like to do . . . someday.

Here’s one that I did try: the summer scarf. Click HERE for a link to the tutorial. I’m trying to accessorize a little more often, partly to be a little braver about fashion and partly just to feel a little more girly sometimes. The summer scarf is probably not something I would normally wear, but I thought I could challenge myself –with sewing and fashion. I thought about making it for Mother’s Day presents, but I didn’t know if my mother or mother-in-law would wear it.

Here’s how I approach a new sewing project: I find a fun project, excitement and anticipation ensue. I think about it for several days (or weeks . . . or long enough that I forget about it). If I don’t forget it, I go buy fabric, still excited. Once the fabric is at home, I start wondering every day when I can find a chance to do it. I imagine getting out the cutting mat with two little girls’ hands grabbing and reaching the whole time. So, I decide to do the cutting when they’re in bed, and for several nights, each time they go to bed, I decide I’m just too tired to work on a project. Once I do cut the fabric, nervousness sets in. Now I actually have to sew it all together. It takes me another few days to finally start sewing, which usually occurs with at least one little girl on my lap and the other close by, peppering me with questions. The whole time, I take deep breaths and chant to myself, “It doesn’t have to be perfect. It doesn’t have to be perfect.” Once the project is done, I fret over whether it turned out like it was supposed to and whether I did everything right.

That being said, I think I need more practice sewing (and letting go when I make mistakes). But when it was all done, I realized it really was an easy project, not nearly as intimidating as I thought (this was the first time I ever used elastic thread, and I wasn’t even sure if it worked with my machine). I think if I did it again, I wouldn’t make it as long as she suggested. I have to double it around my neck so it doesn’t feel too long to me, but maybe that’s just me. Otherwise, I think mine turned out pretty well. Here’s how it looks:

100507_0002

The fabric is red, even though it looks a little pink in the picture. I was just going to wear it for pictures, but I remembered the whole point of making it was to wear it. So, I wore it to the grocery store. I actually didn’t feel too weird. I was almost afraid people would look at me funny, but no one seemed to look twice. I feel that way every time I “branch out” in fashion. Wimpy, I know. I’m working on it.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love it! And just so you don't feel left out, I hadn't seen this blog yet. I kinda don't look for any blogs about making things--I don't have the time, nor do I have the talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And it's great on you!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I read all of them.